Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Today: A rare glimpse at an old poem of mine.


Now With Regret

 
from my first footsteps on the tundra
Kindergarten & 8th Grade Graduation. I'm the under-dressed kid.
I wanted to learn from the people
Raven made from a ball of clay
I wanted to speak with them
their language came from the earth
mine, a theft of all those before it

I tried at first,
but couldn’t escape the mirror of
that pale faced boy, who came before me
too much to bear
or perhaps
I used Adam as an excuse
my cowardice
not to learn

When their words kissed my ears
I would answer back
quietly in Kassatuun

in Kass'aq

White man.

so secretly longing to share
but not brave enough to choke on my pride
ignorance burning in my cheeks

Now with regret
I pour over books
and try to make my old brain
absorb and remember
everything I didn’t allow myself to become






12/13/06

No comments:

Post a Comment