Wednesday, October 30, 2013

The Ghosts in Our Old School House



This is where I want you to be afraid.  Stop for a second and feel the air around you. Is it suddenly a little cooler? Can you feel the cliché, the hair standing on your neck? Is there someone reading this over your shoulder, perhaps a shadow standing in the doorway?
I'm twelve. It's Halloween.  I live in a small apartment inside an old school building on the bumpy Alaskan tundra in a Yup'ik village. The building has something of a history. My friends tell me this. The villagers who teach in the school with my mom won't stay in a classroom alone.  The school cook takes students with her to retrieve supplies down the long corridors that connect the school to the boilerroom, storage, and abandoned teacher's quarters. In a village with each house cramped, every inch of floor covered with a body and a blanket at night, there are three vacant buildings.
Each one, connected to my house by a long narrow hallway that leads to darkness.
A teacher wrapped a rope around his throat and swung from a rafter in the abandoned teachers quarters. Another died of a heart attack during a school Halloween haunted house. This is the school building I called home for a year of my life.  I would be lying if I told you I wasn't slightly terrified of that place then, or even today after they razed it - a new school built over the top. 
It wasn't so much the lights going on and off, or the windows and doors opening and closing. Or hearing the balls bouncing, and thinking the janitor might want to shoot hoops - only to look down the long dark hallway to an even darker gym.
Even that Halloween night, when I sat there - lights off - in the school office chatting on the phone, when one of the gray filing cabinet doors slowly rolled open with a metallic groan - even then I wasn't as scared as I am now.
--------------------Because now I know something I didn't know then. ---------------------
See, my mom could explain things.  She could explain the lights turning on and off. She could explain the footsteps in the hallway. She could even explain the cabinet I watched open from some invisible bony hand. The lights, she said, were part of the generator problem, and the doors and windows opened from the strong arctic drafts rushing through the building. The footsteps? Those were the building shifting from the permafrost, or a janitor working late.  The cabinet? It always opened like that -  why else would she tape it shut? The tape must have come loose.
This was how I became a skeptic.  This was how I stopped believing. Things can be explained. Everything had a logical explanation. There was nothing to be afraid of.
Then.
Then one cold dark Alaskan night ----- make it stormy, too ---and don't forget that figure standing in the doorway ----- mom explained something else.  She explained away her explanations.  Those were the worst nights of my life, she said. With your dad working in Bethel.  Just your sisters and you, and me.
------------------And the ghosts.
It was all a lie ========
- like Santa and that damn chocolate egg laying bunny ……….
She lied about the lights,  she lied about the footsteps, and she lied about the voices - yes I forgot to mention the voices because it's 2 am and as I write this I'm scared, again.
 She lied because she, "didn't want us afraid in our own home."
 She didn't want us to fear the place like she did.
 She even spoke to the air and said, "Look, I live here now too.  Don't you bother my babies."    
But they did.   
One night my sister Beth, Shirley Temple curls, four or five at the time, stood at Mom's bedside and whispered, "There's someone standing there."
Mom let Beth crawl in with her, but she could feel it too. Whatever it was, whomever it was, standing there beside them at the edge of the bed. 
She covered their heads with the blanket and prayed for sleep.
Thanks. Thanks a lot, Mom.
Now I live in my own home, and I'm scared. Not because of the ghosts in our old school house, but because now I have to confront these ghosts. I have to believe.  I can't just want to believe.  I have to somehow, believe the events I witnessed, the events we all witnessed were real. The events we experienced during that year were real. And now they are some sort of evidence.  But evidence of what?  Of life after death?   
To believe in ghosts, is to believe in spirits.   
Then too, spirits must leave a body at some time, and where do they go? Old school buildings on the tundra?
Is it too much to believe? And, why all the fuss about believing in the unbelievable anyway?  What propels this desire to need something other than the ordinary life to believe in?
 Why look to the heavens, the mountains, the undiscovered country, the darkness -  for answers to questions we won't listen to? 
- - -  is there no one right question to ask????????
Not one, particular piece of pie to solve the equation, or prove beyond all doubt and reason,  there is anything left in which we should (not) believe?
And those GHOSTS… those footsteps in the hall? Those basketballs bouncing in the darkness? The voices?  Am I supposed to believe they are the proof I need?
The proof we all long for but refuse to  accept?


[This is an excerpt from an old essay I wrote a while back, thought you might enjoy it for Halloween! If you're looking for a scary read check out my novel The Raven's Gift.]

5 comments:

  1. Our library is haunted. Lucky for me, he's a friendly sort. I don't talk about it much, but I had a cameraman in there who was filming a couple of years ago. He became agitated about "the light." There was "light" atop one of the shelves where there was no light source. People who film are very sensitive to changes in light. He pointed it out to EVERYONE in the place. "Do you SEE that? Do you? LOOK AT THAT!" I didn't say a word. But, I smiled. I told him later about the trickster who moves things, who pushes books off shelves at times. I've been in the library with other people and we've watched as a book slid off a shelf. "That's odd," I'll say and pick it up. I always say, "Good morning!" to it. If the library feels "weird" I always ask, "Is everything okay?" I've never felt afraid of it. Sometimes I get a fleeting glimpse of it by the circ desk. It's just always been there. Thanks for sharing the essay! I really enjoyed it! Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's nothing like a haunted library. We can only hope that if we get stuck haunting somewhere it's a library!

      Delete
  2. Hey Don, great story! I wish we were intelligent enough to explain these things rationally. But humans aren't there yet. My brother's house in Tewksbury, MA is TOTALLY filled with a presence. They try to explain that it's their cats roaming around in the night. When we stay with them, I lay awake most nights listening to the noises that are definitely not cat noises. One night my brother(s) were on vacation with the cats in Maine and China and I had to stay there alone! I was terrified but like your Mom, I didn't show it to China. Man, oh, man, was there a lot of activity in that house that night! Newspapers rustling, stairs creaking one by one as something was coming up them. That house makes more "noise" than can be explained away. Turns out, the house was lovingly owned by a couple for their entire married lives. He was an engineer, she the loving housewife. When it came time to retire, their plan was to sell the house and move to Florida. The husband wasn't as excited about this plan as the wife but he went along. Not 1 week after my brothers moved into the house, the man, Paul, had a massive heart attack and died. My brother said that night they were in bed going to sleep when ALL the lights in the house came on! HELLO! Not the cats! I have a policy to not stay in their house when they're gone. Too scary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes!!! Love it. Nothing like hearing someone come up some stairs...
      And my new favorite line might be, "Not the cats!"
      Thanks, Stacey!

      Delete
  3. My favorite story is about my uncle James Pete, Sr. who would always play tricks on his siblings, including my mom Evelyn, as well as his sisters Bing, Mary and Margaret. Most of his siblings were actually older than him. Because everyone knew Jimmy liked to play tricks, they were always attempting to getting back at one another. JImmy was a naughty young boy. In this story, he was probably about 7 or 8 years old and my mom must've been about 11 or 12. They lived in the old large house on the river front. It was a large house and had a second floor. The second floor was a loft with a large bedroom, almost like an attic space. Anyways Jimmy was laying in the upstairs room and he heard footsteps slowly coming up the stairs. He knew that it was probably my mother, or her sister sneaking up the stairs in an effort to scare him back. He got wise about the situation and hid kitty-corner to the door to "scare back" whoever it was sneaking up the creaky stairs who was going to try and scare him. So as he hid behind the corner of the door, with each approaching footstep, he waited with bated breath to spin around the door to catch whoever it was that was going to try and scare on him, all the wiser. As the footsteps approached, he grabbed the door handle and swung open the door and went "Ahhhhh- I GOT YOU!" To Jimmy's surprise, there was no one behind the door, which in turn, truly frightened him. He then screamed and having no where to turn stumbled down the stairs to the bottom floor to get past whatever it was that was making it's way up to the bedroom. After that, all of my aunties exclaimed that Jimmy didn't pull as many 'haunting' tricks on them. . . and no one ever liked spending time up in the bedroom alone. There were many restless nights I'm certain in that old big haunted house on Front Street.

    ReplyDelete