Thursday, August 25, 2011

Jodi Picoult on Writing, Risk-taking Research, Crazy Fans, and Sangria...


“Picoult writes with unassuming brilliance.”
— Stephen King


You've read her books, seen the movies based on her books, and secretly imagined being one of those authors who rule that coveted #1 New York Times Bestseller position.  Here Jodi Picoult takes the time from her busy writing and touring schedule to chat with me about writing, risk-taking, crazy fans, and the perfect end of summer cocktail.


If you could go back in time to when you were first starting to write, what would you tell your younger self? What sage wisdom would you share or what guidance would you give yourself?
 Jodi - To stick to my guns.  I really weighed whether I should write what I wanted/needed to write versus what I thought would sell.  Ultimately I chose to write what I thought had to be written.  It took a lot longer to find a following, but the end result is that now, 20+ years later, people are being described as the "new Jodi Picoult" when way back when that certainly wasn't a sellable point!

My wildest fan/reader experience to date is when an elderly woman at a book signing petted the hair on my hand and asked if it was real.  What is your zaniest fan moment? 

Jodi - I was peeing and someone recognized my shoes...she passed a book under the stall to be signed.  I asked if I could wash my hands first.  Also, I've had people bring books to me while I'm in a sauna in a towel.  I think it's a pretty good rule of thumb to NOT ask for a signature from an author if she is a) in the bathroom stall or b) naked.


You’re willing to do some pretty risky things to research your novels.  Not counting riding behind me on a snow-machine across the Alaskan tundra at -50 in the dead of winter for The Tenth Circle, what has been your riskiest research experience? 

Jodi - Ghost hunting.  Not only were we trespassing, but things happened that to this day I cannot account for with logic.  Long after I had all the research I needed, I kept going back because I was having so much fun!  Also, for SING YOU HOME I interviewed someone from Focus on the Family.  For SIX hours.  That was risky only because I was literally beating my head against the wall at regular intervals.



You’ve had an uncanny ability to write about hot topics before they become media sensations. How do you do this? More specifically, are you psychic, or if you visit a medium, what is her name? I’m kidding.  Here’s the real question: What advice would you tell aspiring novelists who want to tackle a sticky or controversial topic?
Jodi - I don't think I'm psychic - I just worry about the same things everyone else does, so my topics feel timely.  As for a novelist who wants to tackle controversy my biggest advice would be:  Don't preach.  I think it's far more interesting and educational to present both points of view, and to then let your reader decide what's right and what's wrong.  

You travel a ton. Probably too much, so I won’t pester you about getting back to Alaska any time soon. (Okay, I lied. Come back soon!)  What is the #1 Jodi Picoult travel survival tip?
Jodi - SUCH a good question. I guess I'd have to say:  Become your own time zone.  Eat when you need to eat and sleep any time you can, because you may not get a chance again.
 

Finally. Summer is almost over. Any easy favorite end of summer drink recipe you’d share?
  
Jodi - How about peach sangria?  
Mix up a bottle of Reisling, and a bottle of White Cranberry Peach juice; add one orange (sliced), a few strawberries (sliced), a handful of blueberries, and a peach (sliced). Refrigerate.  Yummmmmm.....

Thanks Jodi! Be sure to check out Jodi's website and her latest bestseller Sing You Home

[ Disclaimer: Jodi Picoult only agreed to this interview after I hauled her on snowmachine across the tundra of Southwestern Alaska and threatened to leave her out in the -65 weather unless she would write a great blurb for a novel I had not yet written and submit to this interview. She agreed and was spared from a cold and certain death on the tundra. You can read the results of her research in The Tenth Circle and the blurb she gave for my novel The Raven's Gift. ]

2 comments:

  1. Great interview, loved your questions for Jodi. Why is it that we author fans are like squealy(sp)rock band groupies...it's sad, but true!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Jodi Picoult, but this work wasn't up to par with some of her others. The longer chapters made the book harder to go through. Her characters were all interesting and the symbolism in the book was amazing. I love how she can take a black and white issue and blur and smudge the lines a little.

    ReplyDelete