Monday, August 22, 2011

A Literary Wet T-Shirt Contest to Celebrate the End of Summer

Soaking Wet Books!


Really, you shouldn't let headlines like that fool you. Plus, a literary wet T contest? Really? That's a scary thought. Hopefully you won't get in trouble from your boss for checking this out.

I'm back from a couple of nice weeks in the wilderness.  Just enough time to finish up a polish of my new novel and to catch the last fleeting rays of our Alaskan summer before I begin teaching part-time in the fall at UAA and part-time Mr. Mom at home.  I returned to some great letters and emails from readers of The Raven's Gift, and some other great news (including my first invitation to be guest faculty at a very cool writing conference).  More on all that stuff later.

To celebrate the end of our Alaskan summer, this week will include some great interviews and a giveaway or two.

I came home to a box full of my books sitting, bathing really, in a nice puddle in my garage. Fortunately, I guess, only four of them sustained serious water damage.

So I'll kick off this week's blog with a wet-book contest.  In the comments post your best worst water-logged story, and the most tragic story of loss and/or destruction at the hand of water gets one of my limited edition (I hope) purely Alaskan water saturated novel. Heck, I'll even sign the water stains.

3 comments:

  1. We'd love a wet book! A second copy would give me one more than I have since I started lending out the first! We don't discriminate!

    ~Here's my wet book story.... When we first moved to Bethel our house backed up on a tiny lake. One beautiful summer day, I decided to escape my siblings and go read there in the canoe. I intended to stay out on the lake until the sun set. I had just finished packing my books, a bunch of pillows & blankets, snacks, and my little black cat for company when my 10yr old sister came pounding up the wooden pallet boardwalk and got in without permission. When she refused to budge, I launched the canoe. There was a small tundra island sticking out of the center of the lake. I thought I was being clever when I tricked her into getting out of the boat there and started paddling away, but she was a force to be reckoned with. She leapt for the canoe and overturned it. Out went the books, the cat, and everything else. The water was only 3 feet deep or so...in the end not a big problem, but it was an awful mess! The cat scratched the crap out of me and then swam to shore. I righted my canoe and fished everything out. She laughed the whole way back as she walked to shore. The books were never the same afterwards.... Amanda Russell

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice story Amanda! Folks have until Friday to compete with you. It doesn't need to be only a story about losing books to water --- any sort of loss works for me! Though books lost to water seem particularly tragic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you win, Amanda! Drop me a line and we'll get a now dried book to you!

    ReplyDelete