Friday, April 19, 2013

Magic Carpet Kid


you float into my office
as if on a magic carpet
heading to Arizona, coach
you tell me
going to learn to fly helicopters, coach
you say
grin as wide as a rotor swath

over a decade ago
after a sleepless night
on cold hard village school floor
I drew impossible black lines on a clipboard
overtime out of reach, my first loss looms
seven seconds left
down by four
we can win this, coach
you said

more impossible lines
you were the X
inbound from the baseline
find the far left corner
skip pass back to your X
 X makes the three --- then trap
on the made - steal and shoot
make it
get fouled
make it

and you do

you ---float
as if on a magic carpet

and we are lifted
seeing in you
what is possible for us all



[Day 19 Poem a day for National Poetry Month.]


1 comment:

  1. Coach Rearden,

    Magic carpet and basketball, what an AWESOME poem!

    Thank you for always having confidence in me and all the kids you've taught so much to throughout your years. Thanks for encouraging and challenging us too. You raised the bar many many times and I've always appreciated that.

    I'll miss the visits to your office in the next couple years. The good thing is I know I can call or write anytime and you'll answer. I really hope you and Annette bring Atticus down to the Grand Canyon while I am in the area. And once I get back, we will see about going up for a flight right away.

    I'm a lucky guy Coach.
    Thanks again,
    Jeff


    ReplyDelete