Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Alaska Summer Reads --- The Official List

So everyone is putting out their summer reading lists, and while I don't normally follow folks off a cliff, I figured I could take this unique opportunity to be the first one to create a list of new Alaskan reads for the summer. And since my list is the first, we'll call it the official list, by the power vested in me to make such a decree. 

Once you read my novel, The Raven's Gift, you can proceed with the other books on this official list of summer books. Click the link above to read the first chapter and see what others have said about this self-declared official read of summer, a novel that was #10 on Amazon (Canada) and has spent over 50 days in the top 100. [Okay, enough for shameless self-promotion, let's get to the list!]

New/Newish Books worth reading (Fiction and Non-Fiction)

The Devil's Share --- Kris Farmen
The Fate of Nature --- Charles Wolforth
Early Warming --- Nancy Lord
The Heart of the Sound --- Marybeth Holleman 
Caribou Island --- David Vann
Blind Allegiance to Sarah Palin --- Frank Bailey, Ken Morris, Jeanne Devon


Journals:
Alaska Quarterly --- Ronald Spatz, Editor
Ice-Floe --- Shannon Gramse & Sarah Kirk, Editors

Poetry:
I think Again of those Ancient Poets --- Tom Sexton

Kids:
Lucy's Dance --- Deb Vanasse

(AND on the must read from year's past --- I can't say enough about Seth Kantner's novel Ordinary Wolves.)


Because Alaska is such a small state, I'm too kind, and because I don't want anyone to feel slighted, I have chosen to refrain from numbering the selections or putting them in any particular order. I'm sure I've left out a few, so feel free to add those in the comments or your own Alaska reading list! Feel free to include older books and your own!

No comments:

Post a Comment