Friday, June 24, 2011

Technology & Today's Author

Earlier this week I wrote about the death of the typewriter. Today I'm writing this post beneath the warm Alaskan sun, on my deck. With my mom's iPad. Hence any errors or typos, as I can barely read the screen in the blinding sunlight. This little experiment is merely to test my tolerance of the keyboard on this device, and so far I'm fairly impressed.

TEN MINUTES LATER!!!!

Now I am not so impressed. I was halfway through a pretty cool posting about how authors should remain current with technology when I mistyped and deleted half of what I wrote. (I didn't realize there is an undo function in time!)
Now I'm too lazy to attempt to recapture that genius of what I wrote. It had to do with the recent announcement of Potterworld, or Potterdom, or Potter-whatever-it's-called. Authors now, more than ever need to be creative and find new ways to utilize technology to reach their potential readers. The more authors know about the rapidly shifting markets and delivery systems the better; however, rushing off to learn web design, when you should be writing your next novel isn't the best use of your time when there are awesome web-designers like Rich Front Range Web (shameless plug for my web designer, and you can tell from my site he's as good as they get). Striking a balance between your work and staying up-to-date is imperative.
As for rushing off to purchase an iPad 2? Save your cash for the next generation. I hear it will write your novels, poems, and screenplays just by thinking about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment