Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Does the End of The Royal spell the end of Book Ends?

I cannot imagine writing a novel by typewriter. Or perhaps even more difficult, a screenplay. All the formatting would drive me insane. Or perhaps that is why folks choose to write by typewriter still? It's either insanity or they thrive on the insanity that such an endeavor creates and thus this is what makes them great writers? (Or just crazy!)
I prefer a Mac. Of course I think the rhythmic clacking, those sounds of the old keys clunk clunking and the bell dinging would be strangely soothing.  But then I would screw up and a whole page of work destroyed and I would cry like a baby or need a cocktail. Perhaps this is why writers back in the day had so many issues?
I have an old Royal, but it's just a book end. And recently the last company to manufacture old fashioned typerwriters went out of business, so I guess these contraptions have become something of a bookend in history themselves. Propping up the last of the books while everyone goes digital. With the advent of eBooks soon the bookend itself will be obsolete, too? Now, as I finish this post, I'm beginning to understand why people have resisted giving up their old Royal.  Maybe I need to get mine fixed and start banging away on my next novel?
What are your thoughts? Shall we hold a funeral for the typewriter?

No comments:

Post a Comment