Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Feeling Your Weight

Check out Portugal. The Man's new song for Earth Day #EndangeredSong

 
 
 
 
 
Feeling Your Weight
 
 
we hike through the hemlock
trunks thick as the two of us
combined, you riding in a pack
upon my back

the sharp rays of evening sun 
reaching into the forest
I wait for the towering trees
to inspire you
will it be another bear hunt?
a monster chasing us? 
perhaps bigfoot?
what will we play?
 
just shy of three
you are, it seems
always reading my mind
already finishing my sentences
always surprising me
and I'm waiting for our play 
to begin, but also thinking
about tomorrow 

I plod up the trail, feeling your weight
thirty plus pounds of questions
you point to one of the giant stumps
the trail winds around
what's that? you ask
I stop. A stump, I say
no, you inform me
no, that means the Once-ler was here

Are you the Once-ler? I ask.
 
Your answer?
 
No, Dad. I am the Lorax.

And like that, you tell me 
tomorrow will be okay




[Poem #22 --- National Poetry Month and Earth Day! In support of Earth Day please search for and share the Sumatran Tiger song and the hashtag #EndangeredSong by the amazingly talented Alaskan band Portugal. The Man. There are only 400 Sumatran Tigers left in the world. Share the song, spread the message. Thanks!]






No comments:

Post a Comment