Monday, April 14, 2014

The Complications of Clockwork

My view from Bear Valley, where this poem was composed...

The Complications of Clockwork

I try to imagine
this same spot I sit
centuries ago
Thirteen hundred and three
feet up the mountain
and let me pretend
that was the date


below in the valley
cacophony of confusion
cars, racing rocket bikes
train blaring at crossings, Cessnas,
Jets landing and leaving 
closer still
rolling rubber on gravel above
the distant freeway rumble
all this gas-powered earfiller
punctuated with a sleddog's bark
a confused rooster crow
then silence

the ears ring at first
adjust to the new era
then the hollows fill
the creek runoff
a chickadee chirp
a raven calls, then swoops
and prunes her wings 
beak pecking a feathers 
she croaks like a wood carved toad
snow crust crunches in the Hemlock
beneath moose hooves

the city below is gone now, too
a lone smoke tendril 
at the ocean shore
so far below
a campfire
perhaps a cousin
or an enemy from another tribe 

I let the spring sun warm my face
as I would have done then, too
and so many things would be
as they are without the rumble
of machine, the complications
of clockwork, castles, and composition

clear, clean, civilized 

No comments:

Post a Comment